Rock Racing banner for tour of georgia

Rock Racing banner for tour of georgia
In 2005, a new cycling team came on the scene. New colors, new kit, they rocked the cycling community. The team was sporting a new kit for every event.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

How I came to know Cycling!

 In 2003 I was introduced to cycling. A sport I knew nothing about. All I knew were that guys wore tights and a helment that resembled an alien. I dusted off the old Schwinn SuperSport, manufactured in 1975, I have the paper work still, new tires, and I was ready to go. A couple of laps around the neighborhood, and I was totally exausted! My wife found it humorous, but I did not. The next day, I felt like, I need to do more of this. Since then, I have upgraded to a Trek 5200, and a better understanding of the sport.

During 2003, I watched the 2003 Tour de France and became in ah of the sport, the athletes, and the equipment. I started following Lance Armstrong, his career in the sport, and his overcoming the fight for Cancer. Not to mention his 7 Tour de France wins. Needless to say, from that point on, I wanted to know everything about the sport. In the meantime, I was raising money for the MS Society, in which I had never done. That is, raise money, and prepare for two days of cycling. Something I haven't done since I was 6 years old. The Tour to Tanglewood, that saturday morning, I will never forget. Hundreds of cyclist, and the beginning of a journey to Tanglewood. It would be a 42-45 miles and back the next day. Total nearly 100 miles. From that point on, I was hooked to the sport. The golf clubs in which I had devoted nearly 30 years, had taken back seat.

I continued the MS rides from 2003-2006 and raised nearly $4,000.00 and met alot of people. 2005, my friend Kristin, which this is his fault and very greatful to, we rode the Tour de Pig, which is a fundraiser for Breast Cancer, I was really impressed by the support, and the gift bag, which included a tee shirt, with great graphics, and check this, a patch. We have been intrigued by it, that if one of us are unable to attend, we keep the tradition going by purchasing the new patch which is different year-to-year. Oh, at the end, bar-be-que, which kicks off the Bar-be-que festival in Lexington, NC.

Since then, I have met alot of people and have been introduce to a culture that is like none other. In 2007, I rode a personal best, 4008 miles in one year. In 2009, I rode my first  3 Mountain Madness event. An event that covers Pilot Mountain, Hanging Rock, and Saurtown Mountain. My goal was to climb Hanging Rock and Saurtown. It would be about 60 miles of riding. After 47 miles and climbing two mountains, I realized I had bit off more than I could chew. My friend Barry Meeks suggested I should do the standard route without the mountains. I should have listened and I have taken his advice. Since then, I have done the event without the mountains and enjoy it much better. When one turns a certain age, they realize the significance of health, and I can honestly say that cycling has made me a better person, health wise, mentally and physically. As I reflect, from beginning to present, I have logged over 19,629 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment